Conduct research, create a PRISMA diagram, and write a 1-2 page narrative paper to describe the review process.
How do you find the best evidence to answer PICO(T) questions? In EBP, it is essential to use your PICO(T) question and its components as the foundation of your search for the most relevant, best evidence to answer the question and address a health care challenge. Peer reviewed journals contain research studies with evidence to:
1. Support the need to improve the health care challenge you have identified in the PICO(T) question.
2. Substantiate potential interventions that will improve the problem you have identified. Make sure the identified strategies and interventions are supported by the evidence-based literature and other credible sources. The strength of the evidence should be from a credible, peer reviewed source and evaluated for merit.
Use the PICO(T) question to conduct a thorough review of the literature. Likewise, it is crucial to master your skills using health care databases to conduct the search. Also, utilize the Capella library resources.
This assessment is a continuation of the steps of the EBP process. The purpose of the next step is to identify information available regarding the patient safety issue by obtaining literature to support potential interventions. The acquisition of literature starts with the search.
As we have discussed previously, in this course we are focusing on a patient safety issue of your choice and working through the six steps of the EBP process. We explored the step of “Ask the clinical question” with the first assessment and now we will look at the second step “Acquire the best evidence.”
Keeping with the previous scenario and your role as the Director of Clinical Operations and Nursing Excellence, it is your responsibility to ensure that the best practices and protocols are implanted throughout the medical center. Your primary goals are to focus on problems in health care safety and how to solve them with evidence-based interventions as a quality improvement (EBP/QI) project.
Conduct research, create a PRISMA diagram, and write a 2-3 page narrative paper to describe the review process, using the following steps:
1. Review the Capella library guide,
Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing & Health Sciences
2. Review the resource on how to use and create a PRISMA diagram.
3. Using keywords derived from your PICO(T) question, use the available search engines to locate four EBP articles.
. Use filters, such as: items with full text online, peer-reviewed publications, and publications within the last five years.
4. Use library tools, PRISMA, the Research Log spreadsheet, and RefWorks to organize and keep track of your search process.
. Be prepared to explain in a brief narrative report the steps in the process that you followed to find your literature sources.
5. Create a PRISMA diagram to illustrate your research process.
. Complete the PRISMA 2020 flow diagram for new systematic reviews, including searches of databases and registers only.
. PRISMA. (2021).
PRISMA flow diagram
. You will use this to complete the diagram required for your assessment.
. University of North Carolina Health Sciences Library. (2021).
Creating a PRISMA flow diagram
. This library guide gives step-by-step instructions for how to create a PRISMA flow diagram.
. Or create your own diagram using the PRISMA Flow Diagram Shinny App.
. Include this document as an appendix after your reference page.
6. Create a 2-3 page paper to describe your exhaustive search process and include a PRISMA diagram. Include the following in your paper:
. A brief statement of the patient safety issue and the research question in the PICO(T) format for the EBP/QI project you have been investigating.
. Identify evidence related to a gap or problem in a health care or public health situation.
. Explain how the evidence was gathered.
. Create a narrative paragraph describing the literature search process, as illustrated in your PRISMA diagram.
. Include details of your exhaustive search process.
. List all keywords or search phrases, filters used, each database used, and how many articles were found with each search.
. Explain what the inclusion/exclusion criteria for the articles were.
. Explain how many articles were retained and why.
· Submit 2-3 page paper, not including reference page.
· Times New Roman, 12 point font.
· Minimum of four resources.
· Reference page in APA format.
· Submit 1-page PRISMA diagram in the appendix after the reference page.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and scoring guide criteria:
· Competency 1: Apply the steps of the evidence based practice process to a health care challenge.
. Describe a brief statement of the patient safety issue and the research question in the PICOT format.
. Create a PRISMA diagram for a new systematic review.
· Competency 2: Differentiate qualitative, quantitative, and mixed research methods found in the literature.
. Identify appropriate databases and key words as part of a search strategy for evidence.
· Competency 3: Assess the quality of the research methods reported in peer-reviewed health care literature.
. Explain the inclusion/exclusion criteria for the articles retained, how many articles were retained, and why.
· Competency 4: Describe the theory and conceptual framework that informs an investigation and/or methodology.
. Create a complete narrative of the literature search process including search strategies.
· Competency 6: Produce original written work, in compliance with the Capella Writing Standards, which is a creative synthesis of information from credible sources.
. Apply APA formatting to in-text citations and references.
1, Describe a brief statement of the patient safety issue and the research question in the PICOT format. Describes a statement of the patient safety issue, the PICOT question, and identifies evidence related to a gap or problem in a health care or public health situation
2, Create a complete narrative of the literature search process including search strategies. Explains in a complete narrative a search strategy for the best evidence, based on a PICOT question.
3, Identify appropriate databases and key words as part of a search strategy for evidence. Identifies appropriate databases and robust key words as part of a search strategy for the best evidence.
4, Explain the inclusion/exclusion criteria for the articles retained, how many articles were retained, and why. Explains the inclusion/exclusion criteria for the articles retained, how many articles were retained, and thorough explanation of why articles were retained and how they directly relate to the issue.
5, Create a PRISMA diagram for a new systematic review. Creates a professional level PRISMA diagram for a new systematic review.
6, Apply APA formatting to in-text citations and references.
Exhibits strict and nearly flawless adherence to APA formatting of in-text citations and references.