· List the characteristics of a discourse community (CLO 2, CLO 4)
· Identify a discourse community that you belong to (CLO 2, CLO 4)
· Identify questions about the concept of discourse community (CLO 3, CLO 4)
· Use invention activities to generate and develop ideas (CLO 1, CLO 3)
completing the readings for this unit, answer the following prompt. Your initial post, which is due by Wednesday, should be somewhere in the 200-400 word range, although quality is more important than quantity.
1. Re-read Melzer’s definition of
discourse community. Do the two environments that you listed meet the criteria for discourse community, as defined by Melzer? Why or why not?
2. In “Understanding Discourse Communities,” Dan Melzer writes: “Unfortunately, teachers are so used to the conventions of their discourse communities that they sometimes don’t explain to students the reasons behind the writing conventions of their discourse communities” (106). How closely does Melzer’s description match your experience so far in higher education? Provide examples and/or explanations, to help your classmates understand.
3. What questions do you have about the concept of
discourse community so far? What else do you want to know about discourse communities?