Melissa is a 38-year-old woman who was recently diagnosed with endometrial cancer. After consulting with her gynecologist and oncologist, a hysterectomy was selected as the course of treatment. The oncologist removed Melissa’s uterus and cervix, but left her ovaries intact. No cancer was detected in her ovaries, and they showed signs of continuing ovulation.
Using your textbook, as well as some additional resources, conduct research regarding the Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) options Melissa has if she decides that she wants a biological child.
Once you are familiar with ART and Melissa’s options, share your knowledge with your classmates by starting a thread which addresses the following topics:
- Explain which ART option you would recommend to Melissa.
- State the steps involved (from beginning to the birth of the child).
- Explain the steps involved in this process for Melissa.
- What are some benefits of using the ART process?
- What are some drawbacks of using the ART process?
Cite all facts and/or ideas that are not your own! Proofread the content of your posts before making them public; correct spelling, proper grammar and sentence structure are expected.