TASK 1 Literature Review 20%
- Write a Literature Review for your Capstone Topic following a set structure. The Literature Review is a critical examination of the most relevant, recent and scholarly research on the topic area that is not just a summary of the articles you have read on done in Topics 1 to 5.
- For Group Work OPTION teams only: Assessment Item 3 Literature Review is done INDIVIDUALLY byALL students and will be combined and included in the final Group Capstone Project Report.
- Ensure that the Literature Review submitted by you is your own work and has not been submitted elsewhere and comply with the University’s requirements for academic integrity.
- You can get help in Writing a Literature Review from the ITC571 Modules tool and other study advices and tips from:
- Study Resources (PDF files to download): http://student.csu.edu.au/study/resources
- APA style Referencing from http://student.csu.edu.au/study/referencing-at-csu.
- The CSU Library website for LibGuides in Information Technology, Computing and Mathematics at http://libguides.csu.edu.au/cat.php?cid=66969
- EndNote Bibliographic software and tutorials LibGuide at http://libguides.csu.edu.au/endnote
- Review the emerging technology (use internet, magazines, news articles, online databases, eBooks) and submit a 2000-word review of the literature on your topic.
- Templates are available in the Resources section or from your lecturer to help guide you through the process of extracting information from a collection of articles.
- A good place to start a collection of articles in your review of the literature is via the PRIMO search tool located on the CSU Library website at http://www.csu.edu.au/division/library
As an example, the Capstone Topic PRIMO search on a topic like “near field communication applications” returned the following list of very recent journals, books, conference proceedings and eBooks related to the Topic:
Information Technology Journal Databases: http://www.csu.edu.au/division/library/find-info/databases/subject/infotech
Information Technology & Computing LibGuides : http://libguides.csu.edu.au/itc
The following questions may be useful while reviewing the topic:
- What is the new technology?
- What does it do and what are the special features it has?
- When is it coming out in the market and how much will it cost?
- What industry will the new technology affect? (Medical, agricultural, computer, business, etc….).
- In your opinion, will the new technology be beneficial to society? Why or why not.
- What did you learn from a critical analysis of your sources of information on this new technology?
TASK 2 Originality Report and Questions 5%
- Generate a Turnitin originality report and submit this report via TURNITIN;
- Answer the following questions to interpret the Turnitin originality report. The questions can be found through the following link: http://www.academicinternational.org/teaching/turnitin.pdf
- Submit your question answers via TURNITIN.
Turnitin is more than a ‘gotcha’ device – it is an effective learning tool:
Because the sophisticated use of sources involves a complex set of research, critical thinking, and writing skills, you should expect to take several years to master them. Turnitin can be a helpful tool in this developmental process. You should use your originality reports as feedback on a first draft so that you can improve your use of sources before submitting the final draft for marking.
Interpreting the Turnitin Originality Report:
After you submit your draft to Turnitin for self-checking, you should look carefully at the originality report so that you can improve on your use of sources. Your essay will be on the left side of the screen, and the matching colour-coded sources will be listed on the right. Then you can make the necessary changes to your essay before you submit the final draft for marking.
You need to register with Turnitin to create a Student Account under the CSU Turnitin Licence at http://www.turnitin.com/login_page.asp
Further information on how to use Turnitin can be found through the following link: http://student.csu.edu.au/study/plagiarism/checking
The rationale of this assessment is to test your ability to review, evaluate, critique and support others
opinions as well as existing literature, using a scholarly writing style. You will also demonstrate your
ability to carry out independently research and locate information from various sources such as
journals, conference proceedings, online databases, eBooks and industry magazines.
The Learning Outcomes being assessed in this second task include your ability to perform literature
searches and critically analyse the literature in the chosen topic and then to critically reflect on and
synthesize complex information, problems, concepts and theories in the chosen topic. As the Literature
Review develops, so will also be demonstrating your advanced communication and academic writing
skills in transmitting your capstone experiences and ideas to others.
What does a well written literature review contain?
That is a research topic on its own, however I recommend the list of SIX structural elements below are
found in most well written literature reviews:
- Interpretation and evaluation of an overview of recent trends in emerging technologies and innovation;
- Evidence of literature searches and critical analysis of the literature in the chosen capstone topic;
- Critical reflection and synthesis of complex information, problems, concepts and theories in the chosen topic;
- Original opinion on the benefits of your capstone project to others;
- Reflective comments on what was learnt from a review of the literature;
- Use of correct citations and referencing conforming to recognised referencing format.
The Checklist for the literature reviewelements can be used as a quality check as you write:
- Coverage of topic
- Depth of discussion
- Development of argument and reasoning
- Selection of literature
Writing Style Elements
- Structure of review
- Technical competence
- Use of citations and quotations
Task 2 is designed for you to learn the functions of the Turnitin software.