You are a police officer in a major metropolitan agency. Recently, several officers have been injured during physical struggles with suspects. Not only were the officers injured, but while getting control of the suspects, several of them were severely injured by blows of impact weapons. There have been a number of brutality complaints. Although the internal affairs investigations showed that the officers were not at fault, the investigations are taking a toll on the morale and time involved while the officers are on administrative leave. You chief has sent you to the TASER training school and wants a report on the pros and cons of using the TASER as a deployed weapon in the department. During a meeting with the unit and division supervisors, you are asked to discuss the TASER’s viability for police use.
- Address the following:
- Do you think that the TASER is an effective device (does it work as claimed)? Why or why not?
- Do you think that the TASER is a safe device in terms of permanent injury to the party being stunned? Why or why not? Explain.
- Is TASER deployment expected to result in increased complaints of police brutality or reduced complaints? Explain why.
- If you were a law enforcement officer, in what situations would you employ the TASER? Provide 3 different examples, and fully justify your response.
- Post a new topic to the Discussion Board that contains your responses to the above questions.