Module 12: Critical Thinking
Critical Thinking: Strategic Recommendations (115 points)
Managing the multi-business corporation to meet high performance expectations is problematic. Publicly traded companies are pressured to return favorable quarterly results and as corporations grow larger and more complex, it becomes harder to manage such corporations effectively. General Electric (GE) was once one of the most admired corporations in the world. Today, GE is facing a much-reduced outlook. For this week’s assignment, read the case study found in your textbook (Case 20): Restructuring General Electric.
Remember, a case study is a puzzle to be solved, so before reading and answering the specific case and study questions, develop your proposed solution by following these five steps:
- Read the case study to identify the key issues and underlying issues. These issues are the principles and concepts of the course area which apply to the situation described in the case study.
- Record the facts from the case study which are relevant to the principles and concepts of the course area issues. The case may have extraneous information not relevant to the current course area. Your ability to differentiate between relevant and irrelevant information is an important aspect of case analysis, as it will inform the focus of your answers.
- Describe in some detail the actions that would address or correct the situation.
- Consider how you would support your solution with examples from experience or current real-life examples or cases from textbooks.
- Complete this initial analysis and then read the discussion questions. Typically, you will already have the answers to the questions but with a broader consideration. At this point, you can add the details and/or analytical tools required to solve the case.
Case Study Questions:
- Why was GE considered to be such an exemplary organization? (Discuss GE’s management systems and performance.)
- Discuss the nature of GE’s corporate portfolio under Welch and Imelt. Did the nature of GE’s portfolio under Welch and Imelt provide superior results?
- If GE’s portfolio mix gave superior results, why was it necessary to restructure the portfolio?
- Why is GE’s performance no longer superior? What are the reasons for the collapse in GE’s financial performance during 2016-2018?
- What should be done to return GE to higher levels of performance? Does GE need to refocus? Which businesses or products would you recommend abandoning or divesting, if any? Does GE need to make additional acquisitions to supplement existing GE assets?
Your well-written paper should meet the following requirements:
- Be 9 to 10 pages in length, which does not include the title page or required reference page, which are never a part of the content minimum requirements.
- Use Saudi Electronic University academic writing standards and APA style guidelines.
- Support your submission with course material concepts, principles, and theories from the textbook and at least three scholarly, peer-reviewed journal articles unless the assignment calls for more.
- It is strongly encouraged that you submit all assignments into the Turnitin Originality Check before submitting it to your instructor for grading. If you are unsure how to submit an assignment into the Originality Check tool, review the Turnitin Originality Check—Student Guide for step-by-step instructions.
- Review the grading rubric to see how you will be graded for this assignment. Review the grading rubric to see how you will be graded for this assignment.