Learning Goal: I’m working on a english writing question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
Persuasive writing is meant to convince a reader about a particular idea or focus, usually, one that you believe in or one you have an opinion on. Whether you are arguing against junk food at school or petitioning for a raise from your boss, persuasion is a skill that everyone should know.
To write a persuasive essay, follow this outline:
- Introductory Paragraph
- Grab the reader’s attention by using a “hook.”
- Give an overview of the argument.
- Close with a thesis statement that reveals the position to be argued.
- Body Paragraphs
- Side A – an unbiased account
- Side B – an unbiased account
- Your opinion (the only paragraph where your personal view should be incorporated)
- Each body paragraph should focus on one piece of evidence.
- Within each paragraph, provide sufficient supporting detail.
- Concluding Paragraph
- Restate and reinforce the thesis and supporting evidence.
Here’s an example of the structure for this essay:
Your topic is: “ANCC Magnet Hospitals”
Remember that this essay is persuasive, so you need to write about whether you agree or disagree with ANCC recognition. Do you think those designated as ANCC Magnet Hospitals offer better care, etc.