utilizing these resources, answer these questions:
- Compare the Mappa Mundi (Map of the World) with Ptolemy’s map. What does Ptolemy’s map allow that the Mappa Mundi does not? Why was the discovery of Ptolemy’s map so important? How did it change the way people saw the universe? Likewise, compare memory and print in terms of how they changed the meaning of knowledge and how people saw their universe.
- How do the following quotations illustrate the tension between science and religion in the Renaissance? How did new cosmological discoveries contribute to the establishment of the Church?
- “The Bible shows the way to go to heaven, not the way the heavens go.” – Galileo Galilei
- “In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual.” – Galileo Galilei
- Discuss the concept of the Renaissance Artist-Scientist. Explain the several Renaissance concepts of perspective. What are these artist-scientists attempting to accomplish? Discuss the works of Masaccio and Leonardo da Vinci among others.