Project Charter Details
Scenario: The objective of this project is to implement a trial Residency Weekend to be held at a new location for the University of the Cumberlands (UC). The Residency Weekend will follow traditional hours for meetings: Friday 5pm – 10pm, Saturday 8am – 7:30pm and Sunday 8am – 1pm. The project charter will be created to present to the Project Sponsor (Instructor) as part of a bid process. You will be “competing” against other project teams to secure the contract to provide this trial weekend. All facets of a Residency Weekend will need to be covered in the Project Charter to ensure best opportunity for selection of your project.
Project baseline considerations:
- Where will the Residency Weekend be held? City and site.
- Establish a detailed budget to demonstrate all potential costs have been considered and are included.
- Source costs from websites (airlines, hotels, convention centers, meeting halls, and any additional services that may be required to implement the project).
- A list of the major deliverables from the project are thoroughly described.
- Specific reviews: The Project Charter will be reviewed by the project team and approved.
- Follow the SMART protocol when required.
- The final approval will be the Sponsor (course Instructor).
- The current sites for UC Residency Weekends are Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati, Washington, DC/Virginia, Dallas, TX and Seattle, WA.
- The trial weekend will be conducted February 5-7, 2021.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has subsided and will not be a contributing factor for this project.
- A successful trial weekend will lead to the establishment of a new Residency site.
- The trial site will need to be easily accessible to transportation options both arriving to the destination and during the weekend.
- Adequate lodging must be available near the Residency site.
- There are usually six (6) classes held during a typical Residency Weekend with approximately 300 students, 6 instructors and 3 support staff.
- Instructors and support staff will need to be provided travel, room and board through the weekend. Instructors could come from anywhere in the continental U.S. so some travel (anything over 750 miles) will need to be scheduled for arrival on Thursday evening. Less than 750 miles can arrive Friday morning if flights allow arrival by noon local time. Instructors cannot leave the Residency site on Sunday until after 2pm local time.
- The 3 support staff members will be travelling from the main campus at Williamsburg, KY
- The instructors will be travelling from:
- Williamsburg, KY
- Pittsburg, PA
- Raleigh, NC
- Madison, WI
- Phoenix, AZ
- Cheyenne, WY
- There is no set budget assigned to the project. The project team will need to create a detailed budget proposal as cost for the weekend will be one of the criteria used for selecting the project team.
- Students will utilize detailed Internet research to establish potential costs.
- Constraints: It is important to define any and all constraints on the project or those working on the project.